• TOP
  • Sustainability
  • Pollution and resource

Pollution and resource

Initiatives

Activities to reduce environmental burden

To reduce our environmental burden at Tokai Carbon, we not only take measures required by various laws, but also strive to reduce environmental pollutants based on our voluntary standards that are stricter than current laws. As for low-density PCB waste, we have set a target of disposing all low-density PCB waste owned by the end of March 2025, two years ahead of the legally specified deadline.
We have disposed 52% of volume by 2021 and the remainder (48%) will be continuously disposed to achieve the target.
As for industrial waste, we will focus on further reduction of consignment disposal volume and overall disposal volume, by thoroughly separating waste and recycling.

Efficient use of resources

At Tokai Carbon, we produce various types of carbon products from raw materials such as petroleum pitch, feedstock, natural gas, and so on. To use resources more efficiently, we are making ongoing improvements to our production methods enabling us to produce more products with fewer raw materials.

Performance

Environmental data

Industrial waste generation and treatment(t)

Scroll horizontally to view the whole table

Action 2018 2019 2020 2021
Waste Generation 7,816 8,272 9,400 7,749
Recycling Rate 66% 84% 89% 85%
Waste Consigned for Processing 3,781 3,543 5,052 3,724
Final disposal rate 45% 23% 17% 19%
  • *Period of calculation: January to December each year
  • *The scope of reporting:Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd. + Major domestic subsidiaries (Tokai Konetsu Kogyo, Tokai Fine Carbon, Tokai Material)

Main materials used (amounts purchased)(t)

Scroll horizontally to view the whole table

  2018 2019 2020 2021
Carbon black feedstock 1,272,844 1,125,918 777,673 1,016,481
Calcined coke 113,569 99,376 16,643 78,266
  • *Carbon black feedstock coverage: Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd., Thai Tokai Carbon Product Co., Ltd., Tokai Carbon (Tianjin) Co., Ltd., Tokai Carbon CB Ltd.
  • *Calcined coke coverage: Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd., Tokai Erftcarbon GmbH, Tokai Carbon GE LLC

Discharges of Environmentally Hazardous Substances into atmosphere

  Units 2018 2019 2020
NOx emissions t/year 672 587 497
SOx emissions t/year 1,162 942 579
Volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions t/year 0.8 0.6 1.0
  • *Period of calculation: April to March each year
  • *The scope of reporting:Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd.

Hazardous waste emissions (t)

2018 2019 2020 2021
58 49 316 58
  • *Period of calculation: January to December each year
  • *The scope of reporting:Tokai Carbon Co., Ltd.
  • *Specially controlled industrial waste (PCB) emissions
TOP